In our tour of the 5 Voices framework for understanding personality, first up is Nurturer.
I start with Nurture because:
- They are the most common Voice.
- Almost half (43%) of the population has the foundational Voice of Nurturer.
- While most are women, many men are first-Voice Nurturer. (Does this surprise you?)
Key characteristics of the Nurturer Voice:
- Champions of people, relational harmony, and values
- The relational "oil" that keeps relationships running smoothly -- their attentiveness to others can help soothe sparks of conflict in families and teams (What an important role!)
- Delight in the achievements of others
- Can be resistant to change and avoid conflict, with passive-aggressive tendencies
Common stress triggers:
- Feeling taken for granted or not heard
- Feeling values are being ignored
- People they care about being treated unfairly
Want to empower the Nurturers in your life?
- Let them speak first in group discussions and decision-making.
- Affirm their competence and the value of their contribution. (Don't worry, they won't get a big head!)
- How much do you relate to the Nurturer Voice?
- Rate it high/medium/low and keep track of your responses to each Voice. This will help you determine your Voice Order -- the relative strength with which you use each Voice.
- All 5 Voices summaries are available now!
Want to discover your Voice?
- Take the 5 Voices self assessment.
- Basic report is free.
- Pro results are only $24.95.